Friday, February 25, 2011

Wild, Eccentric, Hippie Mystics

That's right.
And you thought the '60s were over.
But they're not over. Not 'til the fat lady sings.
or whatever.
Anyway, there's this band -- guy meets girl, then gathers ten others around him, and they travel by bus, and sing songs, and dance in a jingle-jangle, radically-free sort of fashion -- and they go by the name Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.



Let me back up a bit.

I found out about Edward Sharpe (Alex Ebert) and his oddly appealing band of 'zeros' by chance.
I was getting a haircut at a local place near my parents, and they had Spin magazine's January issue, in which I learned about the success of 'little big bands' that were making it big because of 'word-of-mouth' -- which meant slow relationships.

Since then, a number of friends have told me about them, getting me more and more intrigued. And tonight, I shared their beauty with my uncle and aunt.  ... If you haven't already seen a most memorable cover of their song "Home," you should probably check it out now.   ...they're singing, "Home is whenever I'm with you."  And that's catchy.

Alex Ebert was on drugs, but he's (apparently) off them now, and with his beard, long hair, and often shirtless body -- he looks like Jesus. You can't deny his lyrics are a little trippy, but you also can't deny that it's songs like his that can really be freeing. He even sings a song around the word "Om" -- just like we were back in the '60s. Maybe things haven't changed so much after all.

I've chosen a song I think captures the essence of this band's hippiness -- the mystical bit and the folksy bit and their strange appeal. I think you'll like it.



Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - 40 Day Dream by VagrantRecords

No comments:

Post a Comment