Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Smattering of New Music Samples

I'm sure, if you're anything like me, none of you have ever had a busy week. But this week, I was busy.
And so I haven't had much time to think things through and write things right.
But you'll pardon me, yes?

And you might have observed, my style here is more to give you something to think about, to shed a new light on an old "classic," or to make some odd comparison that might spark an interesting conversation.

But today, I just wanted to present to you four songs for your listening pleasure: I've only given them a quick look myself. But I think you'll like what you hear:

Music Blog New Music Collaborative, based out of Boston, let me know that Wye Oak, named after the former state tree of their home state (Maryland), just released a new album. And the hit single from this earnest, folkster couple is by the same name: "Civilian." I first learned of Wye Oak from my roommates, who saw them in concert, opening for the Decemberists earlier this year.

Another new album coming out, "No Color" by The Dodos, was brought to my attention by The Hype Machine (a music blog aggregator [great word, by the way]). Hype Machine was giving a sneak peek last week, and you can still stream my favorite from the album here. ListenBeforeYouBuy blogger describes the Dodos: "Fast-paced acoustic numbers, beats drummed atop a guitar, two-way vocal harmonies, and choruses sung from the tops of their lungs." Not bad, right?

I also like this song released solo by Alex Ebert recently: "Truth."

And, finally, I just wanted to let the world know that "Raise Your Glass" has been stuck in my head almost nonstop the past few days. I'm not ashamed. The artist, P!nk, I recently found out, is from Doylestown, which, if you know me, is a pretty cool connection. [Spoiler Alert: it's also the town where I went to high school.]

Well, I guess that's all. Enjoy the new music.
Thanks to all the music blogs that helped me find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment