Monday, March 28, 2011

Sounds Like: Something Different



Last week I was in Wheaton, as you may know. There I met this guy, roommate of one of my friends: We were just sitting on couches, chilling, and I was like (being your typical 21st-century American), "What do you do?" And he was like, "I make music." And I got all giddy and said, "You know about SoundCloud?" And he said, "My stuff's up there right now."  "Well, as it happens, I've got this music reviews blog: If I like it, I'll do a review."  And then, he got sorta excited.  So I listened to his tunes.

The band is called Youngest Son and his first EP is Pigshit and Glowing.
I've given it a listen, and I like it.

His music'll be quiet, delicate, subtle. And then it'll jar you with a crescendo, or a blurted expletive. And so that's interesting.
Some people I've shared the stuff with have said, It reminds me of Regina Spektor. Because of all the concrete details. ... I think that's a good thing.
Others, though, think it's whiny and weird.
It's certainly very personal.

What I like is that he posts thorough explanations of his songs on his website, telling the inspiration and what he's trying to do in the song, which gives it all greater texture and makes the meaning deeper.
He's singing about homosexuality and family and Catholics and traveling, all things that are of interest to me as well. And though the stories his words weave are tragically poignant, the manner is light-hearted and funny.
So it's worth a listen.

Youngest Son is posting a new song every week, so check back for more on Friday. At the very least, it'll give you something to think about.
And hey! you might even enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. Firstly, I'm a FTRFTC (first time reader, first time comment-er) and I wanted to thank you for this little corner of the internet you've created.

    Secondly, I'm a former classmate and current fan of the Youngest Son and was quite excited to see your review of his work here. I agree that his music is extremely personal and I think it's his clever word choice combined with the concrete details you mentioned and the occasional Ben-Folds-Shove-Every-Word-Into-This-One-Phrase awkward syntax that makes his music so compelling and unique.

    anyway, just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm looking forward to future posts.

    .matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also know Youngest Son personally, but I heard his music before I met him. For me, he's the rare kind of songwriter who demands that you stop whatever you're doing and listen to what he's saying and what he's playing. Whenever one of his songs comes on, I'm instantly in his world. It's the kind of music that feels intimate and meticulously crafted, but with crescendos and turns of phrase that kick you in the heart over and over, no matter how many times you listen to the same song.

    --Kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mattvstherealworld

    An FTRFTC, eh? Well, welcome! Thanks for reading.

    Youngest Son: "compelling and unique" -- I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous

    "intimate and meticulously crafted"
    "with crescendos and turns of phrase that kick you in the heart over and over, no matter how many times you listen to the same song"

    : Well said!
    Thanks for adding your two bits to the conversation.

    p.s. Youngest Son posted a new song just two days ago! It's called "Hands" - listening to it is like receiving a warm hug.

    ReplyDelete