Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Something I Should Have Said A Long Time Ago


Over the past year or so, I've had five or six friends recommend to me the band Mumford & Sons, particularly since the month of February. That I had already heard about and listened to the band and become a fan was something new for me. I guess I can no longer call myself a book addict - I'm becoming a indie/folk music guru or something.
or not.


But anyway it's really interesting:
a quiet, unassuming, old school, folksy-bluegrass band of four
with an apparently "religious" background
making music for your living room
break out of West London
and become famous the world 'round,
now played regularly on the radio
alongside the likes of Ke$ha and Lady Gaga -
it's all rather unusual, I feel.

Like the Fleet Foxes, the dudes seem to have quite the camaraderie,
as (perhaps) would a really tight family.
And that's nice.

They also have a true sense of style
with their shoes, tweed jackets, vests, and occasional cap -
or at least, it's a style I like,
being for whatever reason a huge fan of what I'm calling the "1930s classy bum look" - no explanation needed, I hope.

What I'm wondering is: Is this a sign of our culture's increasing need for something deeper, something more rooted than the pop music that surrounds it? Does it mean we should all play more banjo? Does it mean they sing truer, more earnest, more fiery things than do other people? or is it all just Good Luck and Incidentiality?

Anyways, they sing good (and often sad) things... like, "And I will hold on hope / And I won't let you choke / On the noose around your neck // And I'll find strength in pain / And I will change my ways / I'll know my name as it's called again."

To know one's name. Who could ask for anything more?

2 comments:

  1. In love with this post. I could not possibly love them more than I already do, but the way you describe them and their music makes them so alive to me. Thank you! So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sofia, for your kind words.
    Making things come more alive - that's definitely my goal.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete