Friday, October 28, 2011

Listening to your favorite tunes: feeling happy




Coldplay is kinda a big deal right now.
They just came out with their fifth studio album, Mylo Xyloto (2011).
Wednesday they were playing a live concert at abullfighter’s ring in Madrid, which was live streamed all over the world. So that was cool.
Thursday, they were playing some songs on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
And next week, they're set to be No. 1 on Billboard 200.
It’s nice to see a band that’s been around since 1996 still being creative, without being as indie/electronic as Radiohead or as old-school crazy-rocker as are the Flaming Lips. We need a band that’s built a reputation playing 90s emo/electro pop for the masses making good music even into the 21st century. Else, we twenty-somethings growing up in the 90s won’t have anything to be proud of / embarrassed about when we tell our kids what music we listened to at their age. Without Coldplay, we’d only be ashamed.
Okay, I might be exaggerating.

Point is, this morning (it was cold) my dad's giving me a ride to the train station on his way to work. So we’re cruising down the Pennsylvania Turnpike. And a song, “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” comes on the radio.
It’s Sirius radio, so my dad knows the song title too and that it’s Coldplay singing. And they’d played the song yesterday evening too. So this is nothing unusual.
But then this time, Chris Martin, lead singer for Coldplay – he’s telling us they got the idea for the song from a movie Biutiful (2010), one of my favorites, and they’d picked up a tune from the club scene and formed a song around it.
Turns out, the chords that’d inspired them (from the 1976 song "I Go to Rio") is fairly popular in the Euro-house discotheque scene, and so they’d needed to get copyright permissions to keep the bit in the song.
And… there it is.
They were singing, "I turn the music up, I got my records on / ... / I feel my heart start beating to my favorite song." And there was the familiar doot doot doo da doo doo doot doot doo da weet weet woo da doo…… of the synthesized guitars.
And for a moment, though I know it's sentimental, all of my joys and grief I felt were in that song, and I was bonding with my dad –
And then his phone rang, and a cloud covered the sun, and it was over.
But it just goes to show you, even the popular radio junk, the stuff they overplay, and the music critics kind-heartedly deride (for selling out or being too accessible or whatever), even that sort of music can make a difference sometimes. If you’re sleepy enough (from waking up early) to feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment