Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dar Williams: A Singer Worth Hearing

www.darwilliams.com

The other day, I was introduced to singer-songwriter Dar Williams. A New Yorker (in the loose sense of the word) and a pop folk singer, Williams has a knack for words, for telling a story, and for holding a tune. And she has a great sense of humor.

As you might expect, that all made for a fascinating first experience when I heard her perform at Symphony Space two weeks back.

There is a lot I like about Dar Williams - she sorta runs in the Joni Mitchell / Joan Baez folk music tradition. Like Baez, she got started in the coffeehouses in and around Boston. But then, slightly intimidated, she moved to Northhampton. Williams grew up in the small towns and suburbs of New York. Her musical style isn't what I'd normally listen to (reminds me too much of Twila Paris - my mom's music from childhood), but Dar Williams' song lyrics display an intimate, yet open-minded personality, which I find really appealing.

But I really don't want to say too much. Sometimes the best way to learn about something is to explore it yourself. You might have already heard the song, "As Cool As I Am." It's a great one. My favorite of hers, "The Christians and the Pagans," is what is there to watch below.

No comments:

Post a Comment